Sophos, a global leader in network and endpoint security, has introduced the first synchronised security protection against today’s sophisticated threats with the Sophos Security Heartbeat™ capability of the Sophos XG series of next-generation firewalls and UTMs.
This new technology directly links next-generation firewalls and UTMs with next-generation endpoint security to share threat intelligence that enables faster detection of threats, automatic isolation of infected devices, and more immediate and targeted response and resolution. With Security Heartbeat, organisations of any size can advance their defenses against increasingly coordinated and stealthy attacks and drive a dramatic reduction in the time and resources required to investigate and address security incidents.
The Security Heartbeat pulses continuous, real-time information about suspicious behaviour or malicious activity between endpoints and the network firewall or UTM. By giving these traditionally independent products the ability to directly share intelligence, the Security Heartbeat can instantly trigger a response to stop or help control a malware outbreak or data breach. The Sophos XG Firewall uses data provided by Sophos endpoint protection to isolate and restrict access to and from the affected device, and in parallel, the endpoint protection can remediate the attack.
IT organisations can benefit from advanced threat protection capabilities without requiring additional agents, layers of complex management tools, logging and analysis tools, or expense. The Security Heartbeat is fully enabled and included as part of the Sophos XG Firewall and Sophos Cloud-managed endpoint protection.
“Synchronised security from Sophos is a key innovation in next-generation security protection, and we are delivering that through Sophos Security Heartbeat™,” said Stuart Fisher, Managing Director for Asia Pacific, Sophos. “For years, endpoint security and network security operated in isolated silos and failed to deliver the same level of coordinated security defense needed against fast-moving, coordinated threats. Today, real-time information can be shared between endpoints and the network to provide an automated and immediate response to suspicious behaviour without any manual intervention. Synchronised security delivers better protection and manageability for organisations of any size, and this is particularly important to small and mid-sized businesses.”
How does the Security Heartbeat work?
· When a new Sophos protected endpoint is added to the network, its Security Heartbeat automatically connects to the local Sophos XG Firewall and the endpoint immediately starts sharing health status.
· If suspicious traffic is identified by the firewall, or malware is detected on the endpoint, security and threat information is instantly shared securely via the Security Heartbeat.
· The endpoint reports context-rich information such as the computer name, username and process information associated with the threat.
· The firewall can automatically take action to isolate the endpoint from any routed or remote networks and trigger additional action on the endpoint to mitigate risk and prevent data loss.
· After the threat has been removed, the endpoint uses the Security Heartbeat to communicate updated health status back to the network, which then re-establishes normal service to the endpoint.
New Features of Sophos XG Firewall:
Built on the foundation of Sophos’ market-leading UTM and next generation firewalls, the Sophos XG Firewall includes proven technology from Sophos and Cyberoam, and delivers the following new features:
· Network Security Control Centre. Innovative interface that delivers instant network and threat intelligence so users can take action fast.
· Unified Policy Model. Simplified policy management with pre-configured templates for business apps to dramatically streamline configuration.
· User and App Risk Analysis. App Risk Score features help identify high-risk users and applications and highlight potential security hotspots.
· User Threat Quotient. Manage user-centric policies based on an individual’s known behaviour as well as the health status of the computer or mobile device they are using.
· Sophos Firewall Manager. Full-featured centralised management of multiple firewalls that’s free for Sophos partners and managed service providers.
· Centralised cloud management. Sophos partners and MSPs can manage multiple Sophos XG Firewall installations from the cloud, using the new Sophos Cloud Firewall Manager.
· Security Heartbeat. This unique capability, an industry first, meaningfully links the firewall and endpoint together, enabling them to share intelligence and enhance protection against advanced threats.
· Series of appliances. A comprehensive range of appliances with options for every customer, including the new entry-level XG 85(w) and high-end XG 750 models.
· Hardware flexibility. The Sophos XG Firewall operating system will also run on existing Sophos SG appliances and Cyberoam NG appliances.
· Deployment flexibility. Customers can choose to deploy as hardware, software or virtual appliances, and every feature is available on every form factor.
Available models range from a desktop appliance with integrated Wi-Fi to rack-mount appliances for the data center. Pricing is available from authorised Sophos partners worldwide.
More than 100 million users in 150 countries rely on Sophos’ complete security solutions as the best protection against complex threats and data loss. Simple to deploy, manage, and use, Sophos’ award-winning encryption, endpoint security, web, email, mobile and network security solutions are backed by SophosLabs – a global network of threat intelligence centers.
Sophos is headquartered in Oxford, UK, and is publicly traded on the London Stock Exchange under the symbol “SOPH.” More information is available at http://www.sophos.com.